Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Definition of a Twitterist

According to the Urban Dictionary, "twitterism" is a word for "deep insights about life in 140 chars or less". It goes on to say the term was coined on May 7, 2007 in a tweet (appropriately enough). If it requires "deep insights", I'm prone to say there are very few twitterists actually on Twitter. But that wouldn't be fair. There certainly are deep insights, though most tweets fall a bit short of what might be called depth. Still, they are trying to be insightful. Twitter is just a special communication medium. What distinguishes it, perhaps, is that people often seem to feel obligated to try and communicate deep insights through Twitter. For that I think it can be admired. There are so many communication venues where people seem to feel no pressure to be concise or insightful at all.

Naming this blog "twitterist.blogspot.com" seems a bit contradictory, since I created it to allow me to write my thoughts that go beyond 140 characters. Maybe that tweet nine years ago was a bit too abbreviated (as was necessary). I'll propose that a twitterist is one who attempts insights (whether deep or otherwise) about life or anything else and attempts to do so in a short and easily digestible manner. At Twitter.com said twitterist is limited to 140 characters. At twitterist.blogspot.com I am limited only by my own common sense.

No comments: