Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How To Catch A Hotlinker

"Hotlinking" is the practice of using images or files from someone else's website. This can be a drain on server resources, as you might imagine. While Blogger users might not be concerned, if you are paying for your bandwidth, you would be wise to at least monitor for hotlinkers. I found a couple of WordPress plugins that allege to offer hotlink control by identifying them and substituting the images for other images. One is called PictPocket and the other is called "WordPress Automatic Image Hotlink Protection". To test them, I'll need to attempt to place an image on a different server than where my WP install is hosted, so I'm placing it right here.

First, I'll test Tensei RSS. If you see a computer graphic canyon, it didn't work:
(sorry-the image was lost)

Well, I can see it. PictPocket didn't work for me. Now I'll try WordPress Automatic Image Hotlink Protection. If you can see a picture of a fancy car front end, it didn't work:
(sorry-the image was lost)

Alas, neither of them worked. I just read the readme file for WordPress Automatic Image Hotlink Protection. It said it only works for primary domains and "www." prefixes, not subdomains. My WP install is on a subdomain. It looks like this one's a bit limited yet.

No comments: