Friday, March 12, 2010

Using Windows Live Writer

While I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with Microfuzzy (Microsoft) products, I’ve come the believe that their free Windows Live Writer program may be the best way for most people to get their thoughts from their fingers to the web. It has an interface that is vastly cleaner and, I believe, easier to use than those provided by WordPress or Blogger. You can prepare and store your blog entry locally on your computer or upload directly to the blog (as a post or a draft). Here’s some I love about it: It will download and store your blog’s formatting information so you can really see how it will look on your blog—as you type it in. This is nothing like Blogger’s lame finished view. This really works.

You can easily add images from your computer witblog_200hout immediately uploading them onto the web, as you must with an online editor.  It has a number of plugins for things like tables, tags, video and others. Additional plugins can be downloaded from Windows Live.

You can give the program your login info and instantly be blogging with just a mouse click on your desktop. For me that’s a great innovation. I can write a thought out for the web while it’s still fresh in my mind without going through a bunch of login hullabaloo that distracts me from my thought. Blogging is as easy as tweeting and about as quick.

I’m almost ashamed to say I’ve got 7 blog sites, some of which are  a bit neglected (such as this one). With WLW installed, maybe we’ll post to the a bit more frequently.

See my full review of Windows Live Writer at WordPress Business Review. Download the program at Windows Live.

No comments: